What I Use (aside from ears):
Gear is only part of the equation M+P+V+m+p+S = good recording, where M is a good musician, P is the best performance, V is the right venue, m is the right mic, p is the mic placed correctly, S is the path to the capture device; the sum of which can yield a great recording.
But here’s what I use, if you’re interested:
- Schoeps CMC6 MK21 Wide Cardioid stereo matched pair – one of the finest ensemble pairs.
- Schoeps MSTC 54 ORTF stereo microphone – instant, perfect stereo.
- AEA R88 MkII Stereo Large Ribbon microphone – very sweet on choirs
- Telefunken AR-51 – Large Diaphragm tube condenser – superb tube vocal mic!
- Advanced Audio CM-47 multi-pattern tube condenser – another great vocal mic (also amazing on kick out)
- Earthworks TC-20 omni-directional stereo matched pair – close omnis for orchestral/choral spot.
- Oktavamod Ultimate mod MK-012 omni, cardioid, hyper-cardioid capsules (x2) – fantastic mics for nearly everything.
- Sennheiser e-604 (x3) – mounted on tom drums
- Audix D6 – my favourite kick drum (inside) mic. Just a dominating dynamic mic.
- Audio Technica D130 omni dynamic – sounds like a condenser, but takes transients nicely – like on snare, hi-hat.
- RØDE NTK dual triode valve microphone – very warm on male vocals, cello, acoustic guitar.
- RØDE NTG-3 Short Shotgun with full suspension, blimp & dead cat – very durable, clear and forgiving dialog mic.
- Sennheiser MKH-416T Short Shotgun (x2) – one of the old favorite short shotguns, heard on countless films and docs.
- Naiant Violin-mount omni – for a tiny touch of string detail, mount on the violin and mix to taste.
- Naiant Universal-mount omni – when I need a close mic with no proximity effect, and it needs to be unobtrusive.
- Shure Sm-47 Dynamic mic – tried it on everything, left it snare top!
- Shure 545SH series 2 Unidyne Dynamic- an older flavor of 57
- Electro-Voice PL60N/D Dynamic Super-cardioid
- Ambient QP408 12′ aluminum boom-pole
- Sennheiser Wind Cover
- RØDE Wind Cover
- Ambient Quiet Pole Boom (x 2)
- I mostly use Neutrik connectors on Mogami Neglex 2549, or Canare Starquad/L-4E6S cable. These are excellent cables for recording; they both retain high frequencies very well, even on long cable runs. My studio interconnects are Belden 12 ch. snakes with Neutrik connectors. Since I assemble and maintain my microphone and interconnect cables myself, I test them before each session and I am assured of their quality and reliability on every job.
- Millennia Media STT-1 Origin Channel Strip – verrrry tasty channel strip!
- AEA RPQ-500 in API Lunchbox, 2 channels – perfect marriage for the R-88 with a HF EQ and LF filter
- DAV Electronics Broadhurst Gardens BG No. 2 , 4 channels – clean, fast pre with a hint of euphonic warmth
- Vintech Audio 573 500 series mic pre in A Designs 500HR rack, 2 channels – very nice Neve 1073 style pre
- Warm Audio WA412, 4 channels, transformer i/o, 312 style – disgusting low end, massive tone!
- Universal Audio Apollo, 4 channels, very clean
- Universal Audio DCS Remote Desktop Mic Preamp, 2 channels with talkback – great all around pre
- Sound Devices 702/744T recorder mic pres, 4 channels – I use as a backup, but could easily serve as a main pair of pres and AD
- TK Audio TK-Lizer Stereo MS Mastering EQ – sweet Baxandall EQ for finishing and polish
- SafeSound Audio Stereo Toolbox (Mid-Side compressor in lunchbox)
- Alta Moda Audio AM-25 EQ (two channels in A Designs rack)
- RPQ 500 Line input LF Filter and HF Shelf EQ (x2)
- Millennia STT-1 – Line in mode, full EQ, DeESS, Comp/Lim
- Avid Artist Mix – 8 channel automated, touch sensitive mix surface
- Universal Audio Apollo – 18 channels i/o over Thunderbolt
- Lucid ADA 8824 – 8 channels i/o ADAT into Apollo
- Lucid AD9624 – 2 channels i/o spdif into Apollo
- TC Electronic BMC-2 DAC monitor controller
- Sound Devices 744T Compact Flash recorder, 4 channels with Ambient timecode
- Sound Devices 702 Compact Flash recorder, 2 channels
- Zoom F8 10 track recorder with timecode – stands right along side the Sound Devices rigs!
- Alesis ML9624 Masterlink hard disc recorder, 2 channels
- Mac Pro Trash Can 3.5 Ghz 6 core, 64 GB ram, Dual D-500 GPUs, Thunderbolt Akitio Array
- Neumann KH120 Monitors – sublime!
- BlueSky 5.1 surround bass management controller
- DSM-3 Digital MTM Monitors
- Alesis M1 Active MKII Monitors
- Auratone 5C Super Sound Cubes (for checking what it’ll sound like on small speakers)
- AKG K141 Headphones (x2)
- Sennheiser HD-280 Pro Headphones
- TC Electronic Clarity M Loudness Meter (LKFS)
- Dorrough 40-A2 Loudness Meters (pair)
- 4 channel headphone amplifier
- Crown D-75A Stereo Amplifier
- T.C. Electronic BMC-2 DAC + Monitor Controller
- Pro Tools | HD 12.5
- Logic Pro X
- Sonic Studio soundBlade 2.1 – for mastering and Redbook or DLP creation
- Algorithmix reNOVAtor – Spectral audio restoration/repair, noise reduction
- iZotope RX 5 Advanced – noise reduction, de-hum, de-crackle
- Nugen LM2
- LUFS Meter
- Acon Digital Verberate 5.1 reverb
- Tons of high end plugins on UAD Apollo Duo
- Adobe CS Master Collection
- Final Cut Pro
- Plugins from the TC System 6000 including MD3 Stereo Multiband Dynamics processor and VSS3 Variable Source Stereo Reverb
- Vienna Symphonic Library Special Edition I + II orchestral sample collections, Epic Orchestra
- Vienna Instruments Pro + Vienna Ensemble Pro
- Spitfire Audio – various libraries
- Evolutions Mutations
- Loomer Aspect and Sequent
- Heaviocity Gravity
- Arturia Collection
- Loomer Aspect, Shift, Sequent
- Digidesign Strike drum sample library
- Addictive Drums Trigger
- Tons of other sound processing plugins and samples
- Primacoustic London Kits
- Primacoustic Flexifusers
- Primacoustic Nimbus Clouds
- Primacoustic Reflexion Filter
- Auralex monitor Iso Pads
- Pearl Export 5 pc. with Yamaha Vintage Series snare and Axis double kick
- Ayotte Maple Snare 14×6.5 Ray Ayotte Era
- Various Sabian and Zildjian cymbals
- Taylor T5 Electric
- Taylor GS Mini Acoustic
- Yamaha Classical
- Kala tenor Ukulele
- Washburn Jumbo Acoustic
- Yamaha Electric Bass
- Baldwin Upright Piano
- Armstrong Concert Flute
- Gold Tone 6 string Banjo
- Mountain Dulcimer
- Various Percussion
- Arturia KeyLab 88 note midi controller
- Oxygen 8 midi controller
Featuring a custom desk by Buso Audio!!!